to find information of my course in Deep Learning.
to find information of my course in Applied Analysis.
- I am currently looking for excellent and highly motivated PhD students and postdocs with a very strong background in mathematics and signal/data processing who would like to work on problems in Phase Retrieval and/or in Deep Learning. Please write me an email, including cv, publication list, ... if you are interested!
- 06-2017: Keynote lecture in the winter school CoSIP Intense Course on Deep
Learning at TU Berlin in November 2017.
- 06-2017: Plenary Talk at the ESI Workshop Systematic approaches to deep learning methods for audio in September 2017.
- 05-2017: Invited Talk at the Applied and Computational Analysis Series at Cambridge University in October 2017.
- 05-2017: Two keynote lectures at the workshop Introduction to Deep Learning at TU Vienna, jointly with Michael Wand.
- 04-2017: Keynote Speaker at the Deep Learning 2017 workshop in Berlin.
- 03-2017: Member of the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
- 02-2017: Member of the Editorial Board of GEM-International Journal of Geomathematics.
- 02-2017: One semi-plenary lecture and one invited lecture at the Foundations of Computational Mathematics (FoCM) 2017 conference in July 2017.
- 02-2017: Invited talk at 3. International Matheon-Conference on "Compressed Sensing and its Applications" in December 2017.
- 02-2017: Plenary lecture at the Curves and Surfaces 2018 conference in July 2018.
- 02-20-2017: Talk On the structure of Neural Networks in the Mathematical Colloquium at RWTH Aachen.
- 11-2016: Some upcoming events:
- I gave a keynote lecture at the FoE Colloquium at TU Graz in October 2016.
- I gave a plenary talk entitled Infinite-Dimensional Phase Retrieval
at the MAIA 2016 Conference
from 18.09.2016- 23.09.2016, see here.
- 08-2016. Zeljko Kereta has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Continuous Parabolic Molecules which is available here. Congratulations Zeljko!!!!
- 06-2016. Markus Sprecher has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Numerical Methods for Opimization and Variational Problems with Manifold-Valued Data which is available here. Congratulations Markus!!!!
- Since 01-2016 I am partly affiliated with the University of Vienna, where I will move in July 2016. Due to the increase in work load incurred by this move, I might take a bit longer than usual to reply to emails and other requests.
- 11-2015. Axel Obermeier has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Ridgelets-An Optimally Adapted Representation System for Solving Advection Equations which is available here. Congratulations Axel!!!!
- Dr. Rima Al-Aifari has secured a prestiguous ETH Fellowship. Congratulations Rima!
- I gave an invited talk entitled New Perspectives of Computational Harmonic Analysis in Numerics
at the workshop 30 Years of Wavelets: Impact and Future hosted at the CIRM in Marseille. See
here for the link to
the workshop and here for a link to a video of my lecture.
- I gave a plenary talk entitled Ridgelet Methods for Linear Transport Equations
at the Oberwolfach Workshop New Discretization Concepts for the Numerical Approximation of PDEs
from 11.01.- 17.01.2015, see here.
- Winner of the 2014 Latsis Prize of ETH Zürich! See also the press release in german and english.
- 11-2014. I gave a course on Wavelets, Shearlets and geometric Frames in the Doctoral School on
Computational Harmonic Analysis - with Applications to Signal and Image Processing
at CIRM. Videos of my lectures can be found here and here.
- 14-01-2014. Invited Talk Ridgelet Discretization of linear Transport Equations at the Workshop on `Time-Frequency Analysis'
at the Erwin Schrödinger Institute.
- 28-10-2013. Simon Etter completed his Bachelor thesis entitled FFT-based Ridgelets for Radiative Transport.
- 23-09-2013. Uwe Wiesmann completed his Bachelor thesis entitled The Shearlet-Regularized Fast Thresholded Landweber Algorithm.
- 17-09-2013. Meriton Mihovci completed his semester thesis entitled Diffusion maps.
- 07-27-2013. Manuel Cavegn completed his Master thesis entitled TV regularization for geometric data.
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Anisotropic Approximation Theory
at Curves and Surfaces 2014.
- I am presenting a minicourse on Approximation of Manifold-Valued Data at the
Workshop on Applied Harmonic Analysis in Genoa (Italy).
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Approximation, Compression and Data Analysis jointly with
Prof. Massimo Fornasier and Prof. Rachel Ward at ENUMATH 2013.
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Finite Elements in Nonlinear Spaces jointly with
Prof. Oliver Sander at MAFELAP 2013.
- 04-22-2013. Sebastian Schraink completed his Bachelor thesis entitled An Implementation of the Discrete Ridgelet and Curvelet Transform
for Image Processing.
- 02-26-2012. Served as an examinator in Graeme Pope's doctoral exam at ETH.
- I gave an invited talk on
Optimal A Priori Discretization Error Bounds for Geodesic Finite Elements
at the workshop
New Trends in Applied Geometry in Bad Herrenalb (Germany).
- 31-01-2013. Patrick Lengacher completed his Master thesis entitled Image Post-Processing for Differential Phase Contrast Imaging.
- The schedule for the seminar "Sparse and Redundant Representations", as well as some further information can be found here.
- I gave an invited talk at the Workshop on Applied Coorbit Theory at the Erwin Schrödinger Institute
Here are the slides of my talk.
- 07-27-2012. I will teach a Numerical Analysis Seminar on Sparse and
Redundant Representations in the upcoming fall semester.
- 07-27-2012. Martina Beer completed her Bachelor thesis entitled Edge Detection for
Diffusion Tensor MRI.
- 07-20-2012. Served as an examinator in Oliver Ebner's doctoral exam at TU Graz.
Participating in the Oberwolfach
Workshop on Applied Harmonic Analysis and Sparse Approximation from June
10-16th 2012. My talk was entitled On the Structure of Anisotropic Frames.
- 06-01-2012. Simon Laumer completed his Bachelor thesis entitled KdV Equation: Convergence of
a Finite Difference Scheme subbested by Y. Kametaka (supervised jointly with Nils Henrik Risebro).
Suggestions for possible Semester/Bachelor/Master thesis projects can
be found here.
- I will teach a graduate course on Time-Frequency Analysis in the upcoming
I will give a talk
entitled Finite Elements of arbitrary order and quasiinterpolation for Riemannian data
at the Workshop on Subdivision and Refinability from September 15 to 19 2011 in Pontignano (Italy).
- Check out my
gallery of Laguerre minimal surfaces.
- I will give a talk at the Geometry Workshop from June 19 to 23 2011 in Obergurgl (Austria).
- I will teach the course Numerical Solution of Differential Equations for RW/CSE in the upcoming
- 24/05/2011: Habilitation in Mathematics at TU Graz.
- I will speak about Tree Approximation and Optimal Image Coding with Shearlets in the minisymposium
on Geometric Multiscale Analysis at the
SampTA 2011 conference from May 2 to May 6 2011 in Singapore.
- Keynote speaker at the workshop
Industry Challenges in Geometric Modeling, CAD and Simulation - 2011 from March 31 to April 1 2011 at
TU Darmstadt. I will speak about Approximation Theory for Manifold-Valued Data.
- I am organizing a
student seminar on Computational Harmonic Analysis starting on Thursday, February 24 2011. If you are interested in writing a Bachelor thesis
on related topics, please contact me. Here is a short introductory presentation of the subject.
The seminar schedule can be found here.