to find information of my course in Signal Processing (Bild und Signalverarbeitung).
to find information of my course in Deep Learning.
to find information of my course in Applied Analysis.
I am currently looking for excellent postdocs to join my group. If you are interested and have a very strong background in approximation theory, function spaces, numerical analysis, harmonic analyis, or machine learning, please apply by sending me an email including your cv, list of publications and at least two letters of reference.
- 07-2017: Plenary Talk at the 7th International Conference on Computational
and Harmonic Analysis in Nashville in May 2018.
- 07-2017: Invited Talk at the workshop ''The Mathematics of Deep Learning'' at The Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Department of
Mathematics at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
(HKUST) in January 2018.
- 06-2017: Keynote lecture in the winter school CoSIP Intense Course on Deep
Learning at TU Berlin in November 2017.
- 06-2017: Plenary Talk at the ESI Workshop Systematic approaches to deep learning methods for audio in September 2017.
- 05-2017: Invited Talk at the Applied and Computational Analysis Series at Cambridge University in October 2017.
- 05-2017: Two keynote lectures at the workshop Introduction to Deep Learning at TU Vienna, jointly with Michael Wand.
- 04-2017: Keynote Speaker at the Deep Learning 2017 workshop in Berlin.
- 03-2017: Member of the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
- 02-2017: Member of the Editorial Board of GEM-International Journal of Geomathematics.
- 02-2017: One semi-plenary lecture and one invited lecture at the Foundations of Computational Mathematics (FoCM) 2017 conference in July 2017.
- 02-2017: Invited talk at 3. International Matheon-Conference on "Compressed Sensing and its Applications" in December 2017.
- 02-2017: Plenary lecture at the Curves and Surfaces 2018 conference in July 2018.
- 02-20-2017: Talk On the structure of Neural Networks in the Mathematical Colloquium at RWTH Aachen.
- 11-2016: Some upcoming events:
- I gave a keynote lecture at the FoE Colloquium at TU Graz in October 2016.
- I gave a plenary talk entitled Infinite-Dimensional Phase Retrieval
at the MAIA 2016 Conference
from 18.09.2016- 23.09.2016, see here.
- 08-2016. Zeljko Kereta has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Continuous Parabolic Molecules which is available here. Congratulations Zeljko!!!!
- 06-2016. Markus Sprecher has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Numerical Methods for Opimization and Variational Problems with Manifold-Valued Data which is available here. Congratulations Markus!!!!
- Since 01-2016 I am partly affiliated with the University of Vienna, where I will move in July 2016. Due to the increase in work load incurred by this move, I might take a bit longer than usual to reply to emails and other requests.
- 11-2015. Axel Obermeier has successfully defended his PhD thesis on Ridgelets-An Optimally Adapted Representation System for Solving Advection Equations which is available here. Congratulations Axel!!!!
- Dr. Rima Al-Aifari has secured a prestiguous ETH Fellowship. Congratulations Rima!
- I gave an invited talk entitled New Perspectives of Computational Harmonic Analysis in Numerics
at the workshop 30 Years of Wavelets: Impact and Future hosted at the CIRM in Marseille. See
here for the link to
the workshop and here for a link to a video of my lecture.
- I gave a plenary talk entitled Ridgelet Methods for Linear Transport Equations
at the Oberwolfach Workshop New Discretization Concepts for the Numerical Approximation of PDEs
from 11.01.- 17.01.2015, see here.
- Winner of the 2014 Latsis Prize of ETH Zürich! See also the press release in german and english.
- 11-2014. I gave a course on Wavelets, Shearlets and geometric Frames in the Doctoral School on
Computational Harmonic Analysis - with Applications to Signal and Image Processing
at CIRM. Videos of my lectures can be found here and here.
- 14-01-2014. Invited Talk Ridgelet Discretization of linear Transport Equations at the Workshop on `Time-Frequency Analysis'
at the Erwin Schrödinger Institute.
- 28-10-2013. Simon Etter completed his Bachelor thesis entitled FFT-based Ridgelets for Radiative Transport.
- 23-09-2013. Uwe Wiesmann completed his Bachelor thesis entitled The Shearlet-Regularized Fast Thresholded Landweber Algorithm.
- 17-09-2013. Meriton Mihovci completed his semester thesis entitled Diffusion maps.
- 07-27-2013. Manuel Cavegn completed his Master thesis entitled TV regularization for geometric data.
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Anisotropic Approximation Theory
at Curves and Surfaces 2014.
- I am presenting a minicourse on Approximation of Manifold-Valued Data at the
Workshop on Applied Harmonic Analysis in Genoa (Italy).
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Approximation, Compression and Data Analysis jointly with
Prof. Massimo Fornasier and Prof. Rachel Ward at ENUMATH 2013.
- I am organizing a minisymposium on Finite Elements in Nonlinear Spaces jointly with
Prof. Oliver Sander at MAFELAP 2013.
- 04-22-2013. Sebastian Schraink completed his Bachelor thesis entitled An Implementation of the Discrete Ridgelet and Curvelet Transform
for Image Processing.
- 02-26-2012. Served as an examinator in Graeme Pope's doctoral exam at ETH.
- I gave an invited talk on
Optimal A Priori Discretization Error Bounds for Geodesic Finite Elements
at the workshop
New Trends in Applied Geometry in Bad Herrenalb (Germany).
- 31-01-2013. Patrick Lengacher completed his Master thesis entitled Image Post-Processing for Differential Phase Contrast Imaging.
- The schedule for the seminar "Sparse and Redundant Representations", as well as some further information can be found here.
- I gave an invited talk at the Workshop on Applied Coorbit Theory at the Erwin Schrödinger Institute
Here are the slides of my talk.
- 07-27-2012. I will teach a Numerical Analysis Seminar on Sparse and
Redundant Representations in the upcoming fall semester.
- 07-27-2012. Martina Beer completed her Bachelor thesis entitled Edge Detection for
Diffusion Tensor MRI.
- 07-20-2012. Served as an examinator in Oliver Ebner's doctoral exam at TU Graz.
Participating in the Oberwolfach
Workshop on Applied Harmonic Analysis and Sparse Approximation from June
10-16th 2012. My talk was entitled On the Structure of Anisotropic Frames.
- 06-01-2012. Simon Laumer completed his Bachelor thesis entitled KdV Equation: Convergence of
a Finite Difference Scheme subbested by Y. Kametaka (supervised jointly with Nils Henrik Risebro).
Suggestions for possible Semester/Bachelor/Master thesis projects can
be found here.
- I will teach a graduate course on Time-Frequency Analysis in the upcoming
I will give a talk
entitled Finite Elements of arbitrary order and quasiinterpolation for Riemannian data
at the Workshop on Subdivision and Refinability from September 15 to 19 2011 in Pontignano (Italy).
- Check out my
gallery of Laguerre minimal surfaces.
- I will give a talk at the Geometry Workshop from June 19 to 23 2011 in Obergurgl (Austria).
- I will teach the course Numerical Solution of Differential Equations for RW/CSE in the upcoming
- 24/05/2011: Habilitation in Mathematics at TU Graz.
- I will speak about Tree Approximation and Optimal Image Coding with Shearlets in the minisymposium
on Geometric Multiscale Analysis at the
SampTA 2011 conference from May 2 to May 6 2011 in Singapore.
- Keynote speaker at the workshop
Industry Challenges in Geometric Modeling, CAD and Simulation - 2011 from March 31 to April 1 2011 at
TU Darmstadt. I will speak about Approximation Theory for Manifold-Valued Data.
- I am organizing a
student seminar on Computational Harmonic Analysis starting on Thursday, February 24 2011. If you are interested in writing a Bachelor thesis
on related topics, please contact me. Here is a short introductory presentation of the subject.
The seminar schedule can be found here.